How to respond when your child shows the warning signs of suicide
- Never leave your child alone.
- Make sure you let them know you care and that you will find someone who understands them and can help them. NEVER promise to keep this a secret. Be non-judgmental and non-critical about their feelings.
- Get help by calling a suicide prevention hotline, calling 911 or taking your child to the nearest emergency hospital.
- Remove or lock up anything that is a danger to them (especially guns and medications).
- Continue to reassure them that you will do what you have to keep them safe and that you care about them and their feelings and that you take them seriously.